Thursday, October 15, 2009

SALVADOR DALI

I've been a long time fan of Salvador Dali. As a young teenager I thought it would be cool to have a father like him ;-) While sailing from France to Spain during one of my first vacations without my parents (I was 17) we anchored in Port Lligat to get some water and groceries. This picture is actually the neighbor's house across the street from Dali's house. Little did I know then that he was still alive and would usually welcome unexpected visitors, I just did not have the courage to knock on his door, something I have always regretted. Only a few months later he died.

From Wikipedia: Port Lligat or Portlligat is a small village located in a small bay on Cap de Creus peninsula, on the Costa Brava of the Mediterranean Sea, near the city of Cadaqués in the Alt Empordà comarca, in Girona province, Catalonia, Spain. The Island of Port Lligat (or Island of Portlligat) is located at the entrance of the bay, separated from the mainland by a narrow 30-meter-wide canal. Salvador Dalí lived in the village and his house has been converted into the Casa-Museo Salvador Dalí. Both the bay and the island have been represented in several of Dalí's paintings, such as The Madonna of Port Lligat and The Sacrament of the Last Supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment